Background and Purpose
The Sydney Music Educators Conference was initiated by the ASBOF (then the NSW School Band Festival) in 2011 in response to a growing need for professional development specifically designed for music educators working with school and community instrumental music programs.
Initially the focus of the Conference was on wind band programs, however, the intention has always been to broaden this to include all forms of instrumental ensembles including: wind bands, big bands, strings, orchestral, and choral groups.
We are also keen to present sessions which explore the interconnectedness and relationships between classroom music and the instrumental music program.
The broad emphasis of the Conference focuses on the following themes:
- Teaching Philosophy – why we ‘teach’ instrumental music
- On the Box – conducting as teaching/expressive conducting
- Ensemble Development – practical advice to improve your ensemble
- Repertoire Selection – tied back to philosophy
- Instrumental Pedagogy – the ‘How To’ Series. The How To sessions are designed to upskill MDs in directing the sections of the ensemble where they might have limited playing experience, and as a refresher for more experienced players. Sections covered can include:
- Brass for the non brass player
- Percussion for the non percussion player
- Strings for the non string player
- Woodwind/Reeds for the non woodwind/reed player